Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgements.

Wednesday, 28 January 2009

The Accident

When we were in Wellington for Grandad’s funeral we were in a car accident. We were driving down the street this car pulled out from the side of the road and crashed right into the side of our car. The woman didn’t even look. Great. Just what we needed! We are insured though so we thought it’ll all be ok but then today we get a letter from the insurance company saying that they won’t cover us because Andrew was at fault. Not quite sure how this is even possible since this woman came flying out from the side of the road and we had no where to go.. but anyway. Andrew called them up to ask them exactly why they weren’t going to cover us, and find out why they thought he was the one at fault and the lady said that according to Mr H’s statement, we were in the wrong. For anyone who doesn’t know Andrew, when he thinks he’s right he is very determined. I kind of felt sorry for the poor woman on the other end of the phone, but oh well. It is A LOT of money for us if they try and get out of paying for the damages.

ANYWAY, after the lady tells him that Mr H’s statement accuses us of being liable he gets a bit confrontational and asks her if it is normal for them to take a statement of the passenger and not the driver. The insurance company didn’t even know that it wasn’t Mr H that was driving, it was his wife. How useless is that? So then Andrew asks her why they think it is our fault rather than theirs and she starts explaining to him what it says in Mr H’s statement – that we came up from behind them and rear-ended them.

Andrew asks her to tell him what the damage was to the H’s car and she says front bumper, headlight (and some other crap at the front of the car which I can’t remember) and then he asks her what the damage to our car was and she says left hand side of the vehicle, front and rear doors, blah blah… At this point you can tell he’s thinking OK, you guys are absolute morons, can you not put 2 and 2 together and get 4? When he’s like this he gets quite sarcastic and the next thing I know he’s going to the lady, Ok, right. I see.. Mhmmm. OK, now can I get you to do something for me? Right. Close your eyes and try and imagine this for me. Hang on, just bare with me because I want to try and explain something to you. Yeah, just close your eyes for a minute and try and work this out because I’m having a hard time understanding where you guys are coming from… Their car has front end damage, right? My car has damage to the left hand side. We are supposed to have rear-ended them. Can you tell me how it’s possible that I drove around the side of their car and hit their front bumper with the left hand side of our car… given the type of damage there was to both cars? Yeah, I didn’t think so.

They will be covering the repairs :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL People are idiots!! Glad you guys got it handled though! I assume no one was hurt though right? Is that where the broken toe came in, or did I miss that?

mumof2boys said...

That is halarious, and go Andrew.

Tiffany :) said...

are you serious? that's so funny...some people! glad it wasn't too serious!

There comes a point in your life when you realise who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. So don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future ♥


The word God is, for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. -- Einstein

Lilypie First Birthday tickers