Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgements.

Saturday, 11 July 2009

Long time, no see

So long in fact that when I tried to log in I could no longer remember which password was for what, and I had 128 emails.

A couple of weeks ago, work dropped a bombshell. I'm not going to get into it, because the whole thing is frustrating, depressing and just too much to deal with right now. I'd rather deny the whole thing is happening. Anyway.. everyone will find out if they have a job or not at the end of the month. They told us this "news" on June 23 and we have to wait until July 31 just to know if we will even have a job. Can you see why I am a smidge irritated? Not to mention that for at least the last 6 months they have been saying:

  • We might have to make people redundant soon.
  • The figures for this month aren't looking good, if this keeps up there'll be redundancies.
  • Last month we didn't make budget, if we don't make it this month there will probably be job losses.

Enough of the leaving-us-hanging bullshit already.

So, in light of all this, the girls and I decided we were in need of a little getaway. We hit the road and headed down to see a friend of mine who is working on her family farm for 6 months. There, we got up ridiculously early to milk cows, move fences and ride quad bikes. As a bonus, we got a free mud-mask while working and I even got an electric shock.

When Kellie & Elysium were enjoying the abundance of animals on the farm I was taken to "see something." This something, to my horror, was a tour of the freezing works. What a interesting hideous experience.

***NOTE: If you don't want to know the gruesome details you may want to skip down to where the font turns back to black ***

Where do I even begin? I saw dead cows, who had been "filled with air" and then skinned. They all died of natural causes, but still.

I was shown where the calves that die after birth go to be made into something-I-can't-remember (or more likely, have blocked from my memory).

I learnt all about veal (a baby cow killed at 4 days old, if you wanted to know).

I saw where the cows take their final walk, much like walking the plank before they are stunned and then have their throats slit open.

I learnt they are sometimes taken to the freezing works on Saturday or Sunday where they have to sit (or stand, I suppose) until Monday when they cow-killers come back to work.

I saw stacks, numbering in the hundreds of cow hides. Ready to be made into a handbag, for you.

I learnt that when the freezing works is "in full force" up to 200 cows "go there" each day. This is one freezing works.
In one tiny little town.
In one tiny little country.
In this huge world.
Kinda scary, don't cha think?

I smelt the worse smell I've ever come across in my life. Instant gag material. The smell of hundreds of slaughtered animals. I think that was enough to turn anyone vegetarian.

Needless to say I am yet to have a steak, or beef of any kind for that matter since this experience.

Ahem, enough of that.

That Saturday when the girls were having a sleep-over with Sarah's 8yo sister and their numerous farm animals, I was talked into going to town, to go clubbing. I had to think about this for awhile, what's a club again? Isn't that something Andrew uses to play golf... ;) Anyway, we proceeded to have a bit too much jager, do other things which I won't get into and spend half of the night dancing to Michael Jackson. Shame.

101-wise I achieved quite a lot over the last few weeks!

#14. Watch 50 new movies (3/50)
Step Up 1 & 2

#15. Watch 10 documentaries (2/10)
Serial killer and body-snatcher Ed Gein.. gross!

#17. Identify 100 things that make me happy (10/100)
7. Kellie
8. Elysium

9. Catching up with friends
10. Spending the night dancing

Do #7 and 8 count? I'm not sure my kids are really things but they do make me happy.

#63. Complete 10 random acts of kindness (1/10)
Helped an old lady carry groceries to her car.. Warm fuzzies!

#86. Have a girl's night once a month (1/32)
June: Night out in Hamilton with Sarah

#91. Visit 5 new towns in New Zealand (1/5)
Morrinsville

#92. Take a spur of the moment road trip - COMPLETED
A trip to Sarah's farm with the girls


Last, but most definitely not least Happy Belated TENTH Birthday to my one and only brother. Thinking about you. Always and forever. Love you to the moon and back.
Sean Alexander - July 5, 1999

Uncle Eric - July 11, 2008

This year I have no words for loss. I have lost enough yet I have so much to be grateful for. Our family will never quite be the same without these 2 special men in our lives but at least they are somewhere that is pain and cancer-free.

"Some people make the world special just by being in it."


1 comments:

mumof2boys said...

I was wondering where you were. I don't think you're allowed to disappear like that for days on end. Sorry things are work are pretty crappy. I hope you get some good news at the end of the month.

Just because I haven't done anything this year doesn't mean I think it's time to have another bay :) Yes Im ready, but also not, so no won't be happening yet.

Yes I was going through a little more frequent blogging stage, and it should continue :)

There comes a point in your life when you realise who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. So don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future ♥


The word God is, for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. -- Einstein

Lilypie First Birthday tickers