Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgements.

Friday, 24 October 2008

Why I can't give up wine...

Since I am in a VERY good mood, because it's Friday... not to mention the fact that Monday is a public holiday. How much better can life get right now? Well, maybe if I had won that $30 million last week... but anyway, here's a Friday funny for you all :)

I was walking down the street when I was accosted by a particularly dirty and shabby-looking homeless woman who asked me for a couple of dollars for dinner.

I took out my wallet, got out ten dollars and asked, 'If I give you this money, will you buy wine with it instead of dinner?'

'No, I had to stop drinking years ago', the homeless woman told me.

'Will you use it to go shopping instead of buying food?' I asked.

'No, I don't waste time shopping,' the homeless woman said. 'I need to spend all my time trying to stay alive.'

'Will you spend this on a beauty salon instead of food?' I asked.

'Are you NUTS !' replied the homeless woman.

' I haven't had my hair done in 20 years!' '

Well,' I said, 'I'm not going to give you the money.

Instead, I'm going to take you out for dinner with my husband and me tonight.'

The homeless Woman was shocked.

'Won't your husband be furious with you for doing that?

I know I'm dirty, and I probably smell pretty disgusting.'

I said, 'That's okay.

It's important for him to see what a woman looks like after she has given up shopping, hair appointments, and wine.

On a more serious note I found this yesterday when I was having one of "those" days. When I was pretty fed up with the world, peeved at Mother Nature for having drenched me on the way to work and irritated by some shitty ass clients for being unneccesarily rude, at lunch time who am I kidding, I didn't have a lunch time yesterday! On my have-a-break-before-you-go-insane moment I stumbled across this article:

A Bay of Plenty couple is grieving the loss of their third child to a rare heart disease. Eighteen-year-old Courtney Coppell collapsed and died during a party at a Mt Maunganui house on Thursday night. Parents Bruce and Nancy Coppell will bury her tomorrow alongside her brother Joshua, 16, and sister Rebecca, 13, who also died from the same cardiac disease known as Long QT syndrome, The Sunday Star Times reports today. Just two sisters Ashley, 25, and Monique, 22, remain. Bruce and Nancy Coppell said they learnt about Long QT syndrome after the death of Rebecca who collapsed while playing touch rugby.When tests on her proved inconclusive, they sought help from specialists at Waikato Hospital and then Auckland's Starship hospital.Mr Coppell said Long QT syndrome caused an abnormality of the heart's electrical system which could mean children slept longer than normal or suffered headaches, or fainted without explanation. Often it was mistaken for epilepsy.When the family was tested, his wife was found to be worst affected, followed by Joshua who collapsed while riding his bike four months ago and died a short time later.The Coppells said that Courtney's test results were clear. But she had been unhappy recently after breaking up with her boyfriend. She collapsed on Thursday night at a party at a house in Korowai St, Mt Maunganui, which had just been filmed for the television programme Neighbours at War, which tries to mediate in rows between neighbours. She could not be resuscitated by ambulance officers. Mr Coppell said something must be done to prevent other families suffering what his family had gone through."We thought we'd had all the kids checked. We thought Courtney was one of the better ones. The public needs to be better informed, we've learnt it all from the school of hard knocks."So far it's taken my son and two daughters. I've only got two daughters left. It's been a bastard."

I know this is a bit depressing for a Friday and all but I bet it'll make you appreciate your life a bit more this weekend. Have a good one!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay I like the wine joke... but yes that was depressing! The world can sure shit on people huh?

There comes a point in your life when you realise who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. So don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future ♥


The word God is, for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. -- Einstein

Lilypie First Birthday tickers