Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgements.

Sunday, 14 September 2008

A problem shared is a problem halved...

.. so is a problem really yours or just half of someone else's?

I'm not entirely sure if I really want to share this, but when this quote came up randomly on the intranet at work the day after I received the phone call I am about to blog about I thought it might be some kind of sign. It's not really a problem, I guess because in my mind a problem has a solution, or a way that it can be fixed. This, I'm not so sure.

The other day I got a call from a doctor at a genetics clinic that MSM (my so-called mother) and aunties had been to see recently. Apparently our family has a mutant gene (MSH6) which explains the high number of people in our family who have/have died from colon cancer. They found out about 5 months ago that my great aunt has the mutation and as my grandfather also had colon cancer they believe he has it too. My aunties and MSM have been tested for it and ALL of them have the mutant gene meaning that all of my cousins on the maternal side of my family, my sisters and I have a 50/50 chance of having it too.

For those of you who are curious what this means... this is what was written about it in the letter my aunt got sent.

"The genetic testing identified a spelling mistake (mutation) in a gene called MSH6 and mutations in this gene are known to be associated with a condition called Herditary Non-Polyposis Colorectal Cancer (HNPCC). HNPCC is an inherited genetic predisposition to cancer which is associated primarily with an increased risk of bowel cancer. HNPCC is also associated with other cancers including those of the endometrium, ovaries, urinary tract, stomach and brain."
It also has a bunch of statistics that state the chance of getting colon cancer with this gene are 65-80% and endometrium cancer is 40-60%.

At first I was really annoyed about the whole situation. Is this yet another thing my family has to try and survive? I am not so much annoyed about it for me, I'm sure one way or another I'll make it through the otherside but for Kellie and Elysium. If I have this gene, and if I've passed it on I've just bumped up the chances a huge percentage that my girl's, god forbid, could get cancer. For the few days after I found out I had horrible scenarios running through my head of what could happen. Cancer is one of the worst things, if not the worst thing someone could go through. Your child getting cancer, enduring months of suffering and treatment is probably #1 on a parent's worst nightmare list.

For now, I am trying to remain positive. Until I get the results and I've seen the Dr. and I know for sure what could happen, what can be done and what this means for our family. I have an appointment on Tuesday to get tested but I won't know the results for 2 months. PLEASE keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I don't even know what to say. I really really hope you don't have that gene. It's terrible you have to wait so long for the results, I can only imagine what you will be going through until then. I am just hoping for good news..

Anonymous said...

Oh no! That's not the kind of thing you want to hear!! And 2 months is a horrible wait but I hope you don't have the gene!! Fingers and toes are crossed!

mumof2boys said...

I'm so sorry Jenna. Having to wait all that time to find out would be so hard. I hope it all comes back fine. I'll be thinking of you. Keep us updated.

There comes a point in your life when you realise who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. So don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future ♥


The word God is, for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. -- Einstein

Lilypie First Birthday tickers