I think the next best thing to having your own baby is having a little niece or nephew (be it related or honorary.) I guess grandchildren are exciting too but that's a looong way off for me, I hope. I've been hanging out for one of my friend's to get knocked up for the last 7 years and tomorrow is Tempy's (if you know Danielle, I'm sure she has already explained the nickname to you) half-way-there scan. Very exciting! Except since Danielle and I are two peas in a pod you may have guessed (or been told) that we won't know the answer to that $64,000 question for another 4 1/2 months. Boy or girl? It seems to be the second question everyone asks (the first being "when are you due?" The answer in Danielle's case, 20 December seems to get 2 types of responses.. "Oh how nice, a Christmas baby!" or "Oh, you poor thing", "that was bad timing", "I hope it doesn't come on the 25th I'd hate to have my birthday on Christmas Day", or some other negative variation) and when you tell them you don't know, or you're not finding out for some strange reason this seems to really bother them. We have had most of the standard responses "don't you want to be prepared?" She's having a baby, not an alien. It doesn't really matter what sex it is, it's still going to eat, sleep & poop. "How are you going to bond with the baby?" Omg, how did they ever cope when they didn't have ultrasounds and they didn't know what they were having? I can just imagine the horror of not being able to personalise all the baby shit with the name you'd picked out. This last one takes the cake though "what is your baby going to wear since you can't buy it any clothes?" HA, god forbid, maybe something that's white, yellow or green?!
So to irritate the ignorant people of the world who think it's some kind of crime to not know what you're carrying for 9 months is part of the reason it's a surprise and the other is that Danielle thinks she'll need that extra incentive when she's feeling like she wants to die in the delivery room. I've told her the pain is incentive enough but if she could've she would have already booked an epidural. Let's just hope she makes it to the hospital with enough time to have an epidural, unlike some of us.
See you tomorrow Tempy!
Aunty Jenna :)
Thursday, 31 July 2008
The next best thing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
There comes a point in your life when you realise who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. So don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future ♥
The word God is, for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. -- Einstein


1 comments:
LOL that question drives my husband NUTS! He hates when people ask what you're having, he tells everyone "a baby".
Post a Comment