Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgements.

Sunday, 15 June 2008

Do as I say, not as I do

Because I'm in the blogging mood I thought I'd retype the blog that I wrote last night then managed to delete....

Why is it that people feel the need to tell other people what's best for their children? or that we are so quick to criticise other parents for what they do or don't do? While I don't agree with what some parent's do when it comes to raising their kids, I would never actually say this to their face or tell them what to do because everyone is entitled to raise their children the way they think is best, provided it is not abusive in any way. But it seems not everyone is prepared to keep their parenting thoughts to themselves and my poor best friend is just discovering this first hand now that's she's in her second trimester. With pregnancy comes about a million and one decisions that you have to make, some more serious that others. But there's always a couple things you can count on that everyone will have an opinion about; whether or not you find out the sex, the name you decide and the infamous breastfeeding/bottle feeding debacle.

Breastfeeding.. Everyone's favourite topic (or not). I don't understand why people care so much whether or not you breastfeed your child. My BF has been bombarded with the cliche comments "breast is best" "you bond more with your baby than if you bottle feed" and "it makes your children healthier." That's all fine and dandy if you think that (still not sure there is hard evidence about the fact that it makes your children healthier. There are a lot of variable factors that go along with that and the bonding thing is just plain BS) but the reality is that for some people breastfeeding is pure hell and unless it was pure hell for you for an extended period of time then I personally think you should shut the hell up and not tell other women what is best for them. Good for you if you think it's some kind of amazing achievement. Yeah, it's what boobs were made for but there are faults with everything in nature so it's obviously not going to work for everyone. It's not a crime and I don't think we should be made to feel like it is.


So, there's more... the judgemental part of society who think they are somehow so much better than other parents. Yesterday, in the middle of a very busy shopping mall a 3 year old boy was having the mother of all melt downs. I guess the older generation has forgotten what it's like to try and deal with a toddler. The fact that they have a mind of their own and that despite doing everything right they will probably at least once in their lifetime throw a major fit in the most crowded of places. These two old ladies stood there, hands on hips looking at this poor mother disapprovingly and very loudly proclaimed that "parents these days have no idea how to handle their children" Umm, ok? I felt so sorry for the mother who actually heard this rude comment and turned bright red while she was trying everything to restrain her child. Andrew had to convince me that it probably wasn't the best idea to go over and give these old ducks a piece of my mind. Instead, I just gave the woman a sympathetic look as if to say "been there, done that, got the t-shirt.. Don't worry, I know you feel like you want the floor to open up and swallow you but you'll survive." If you haven't experienced your child having a tantrum in public then you're one lucky parent! Why do people act as though it has never happened to them and that they're soooo much better than this poor woman?

The next time any of my children decide to throw a fit in public I hope I'm surrounded by like-minded people who realise that it's just one of those things and not a bunch of egotistical know-alls who think it makes you the world's worst parent.

1 comments:

mumof2boys said...

Im finding it difficult at the moment with getting looks from people as if Im too young to have two kids. Yes I look young, but Im getting to the point of saying nearly 26 with two kids...really isn't a big deal. Grrr.

There comes a point in your life when you realise who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. So don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future ♥


The word God is, for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. -- Einstein

Lilypie First Birthday tickers