Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgements.

Saturday, 26 February 2011

Yeah, I totally jinxed it...

This is the post I started last weekend. I only got as far as two paragraphs before we headed out for Andrew's birthday dinner, but I'll share the very first bit..

Things are good... and now that I've said that out loud I have probably jinxed it and I'm screwed, I just know it. Quick, someone find me some wood to knock on.

Now, let me tell you about my week... Monday was hideous. We had issue after issue at work, I spent an hour trying to find a document I had "lost" on my computer that I desperatley needed the next day only to have IT find it in two minutes (don't you hate that?) and then that night I got caught up with a phone call and overcooked burnt Kellie's birthday cake.

Tuesday morning, Kellie's tenth birthday(!) we woke up early, had pancakes for breakfast and unwrapped presents. I dropped the girl's at school and was very optimistic that it would be a better day. I believe my exact words were "it's not Monday so today is bound to be better" and later, I even went as far as saying "today will be awesome." My boss K and I had to go to Christchurch for a work trip. He was going to stay overnight but after some serious arm twisting I was able to get out of the second day so I could be home in time for Kellie's birthday dinner. We had actually moaned about having to go on this trip for quite a while. He was nervous about the earthquakes but I grew up in Wellington so it's nothing new for me... besides, it so would not happen while we were there, right? Well, 12:51pm that afternoon, while we were out for lunch between meetings it did. It is by far now, and probably for the rest of my life, the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced. I actually can't put it into words. We were evacuated out of town and spent the afternoon with thousands of shocked and emotional people in the park. All flights in and out of the city were cancelled. I missed Kellie's birthday dinner. In fact, we missed dinner altogether. I made it home, safely, on Wednesday evening after a surreal 29 hours.

Andrew's home town is destroyed, his mother's house is flattened. Dozens deads, hundreds missing, thousands changed forever. The people of Christchurch have been nothing short of amazing. The generosity from around the world from as close as Australia to far and wide including the USA and the UK is so humbling. We are so, so thankful. I am so thankful to be here.

Life is short. Tell people you love them. Don't walk away angry. Be thankful. Make the most of every second.

2 comments:

Tash said...

I have been worried about you all week and have been checking in on your blog everyday to see if you were ok. I don't even have your email address :( Glad you hear you weren't hurt, and its so sad to see all the devestation over there.

Anonymous said...

How did I miss this?! That is soo scary! I was actually thinking about you when I heard about all of that going on! Crazy-scary stuff! Glad you are safe though!

There comes a point in your life when you realise who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. So don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future ♥


The word God is, for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. -- Einstein

Lilypie First Birthday tickers